Created in 2009, the Carlow Laureate Award is an institutional honor given to Carlow University distinguished alumni. All nominees must have an earned undergraduate or graduate degree from Carlow University and must have a minimum of 10 years professional experience with documented professional successes/achievements.
Awards will be presented to the selected Carlow Laureates at a celebratory luncheon held in May the day before Commencement. The Laureates will also participate in the Commencement ceremony.
Nominations are open now until February 26, 2018.
All nominees must have an earned undergraduate or graduate degree from Carlow University. All graduates who are not employees of Carlow University are eligible for the award. Carlow Laureate Award nominees must have 10-15 years professional experience with documented academic/professional successes or achievements, while Young Carlow Laureate Award nominees are eligible within 10 years of their graduation date.
How to Submit a Nomination
In the context of Carlow University's Mission and Core Values, please provide clear and concise reasons your nominee should be considered as a Carlow Laureate. Please attach appropriate documentation, including the Nominator's Statement, the nominee's resume or curriculum vitae and contact information for an additional professional reference. All nominations are kept strictly confidential.
- Specify significant academic/professional achievements of your nominee.
- Explain the significance of your nominee's contributions to the nominee's profession.
- Specify the impact of your nominee's work on the broader local, national or international community.
Criteria for Carlow Laureate Award:
- Documented Experience: A minimum of 10 years of professional experience with detailed professional successes and achievements.
- Exceptional Achievement: The nominee must have made exceptional achievement and contributions to the nominee’s profession, community, society, and/or university.
- Demonstrated Leadership: The nominee must be a respected leader and role model in the nominee’s profession and/or community.
- Reflection of University Ideals: The nominee must embody the mission and values of the university in the nominee’s personal life.
Criteria for Young Carlow Laureate Award:
- Graduate of the Last Decade: the nominee must be a Carlow University graduate within the last 10 years from nomination date.
- Remarkable Achievement: the nominee must be distinguished in his or her chosen profession, public or private, academic or professional.
- Refection of the University Ideals: the nominee must demonstrate the mission and values of Carlow University through both professional and community involvement.
For more information, please contact Laurie Petty at 412.578.8851 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Award recipients nominations are reviewed by a committee selected by
the Vice President for University Advancement. Awardees will have the
opportunity to engage with the University community through service and
Past Carlow Laureates
Read the 2017 Carlow Laureate press release and full bios
David Debenham, JD 2013
Howard B. Slaughter, Jr., PhD 1993
Donna Marie Vivio, MPH, MS 1976 (awarded posthumously)
Rachelle Zomack, MS 1991
Young Laureate: Misti McKeehen, MS 2007
Read the 2016 Carlow Laureate press release and full bios
Amie Downs, JD 1994
Anne DeNardo McGowan, JD 1960
Shawn McGill, MSW 1998
Anne Macdonald Peniston, RN, MSN, FNP 1981
Read the 2015 Carlow Laureate press release and full bios
Sister Grace Ann Geibel, RSM, PhD 1961 (awarded posthumously)
Barbara Capozzi Kirr 1960
Louise Reiber Malakoff, JD 1967
Margaret Quinn Rosenzweig, PhD, FNP-BC, AOCNP, FAAN 1981
Ellie Buntag Wymard, PhD 1958
Read the 2014 Carlow Laureate press release and full bios
Juilene Osborne-McKnight, MFA 2007
Dorothy A. Davis, JD, BA 1978
Susan E. Lee, BA 1979
Deborah Rice-Johnson, BS 2008
Sister Jane Scully, RSM, BA 1939, Carlow President 1967-1982
Margaret Meis Armen, JD 1969
Barbara K. Mistick, PhD 1990
Carol Awkard Neyland 1973
Sister Cynthia Serjak, RSM 1972, 1997
Rita M. McGinley 1940 (awarded posthumously)
Michele Rehfeld Atkins 1982
Patricia Gimper Donohoe 1975
Michele Fabrizi 1975
Dr. Marilyn Radke, MD 1973
Mary Ann Sestili, PhD 1961
Monica O’Keefe 1969
Judge Margaret A. Mangan, BSN, MS, JD, 1970
Stella Smetanka Mericli, JD 1970
Arlene Myers Morris 1979
Grace Mushrush MD 1957
Janet Simon, PhD 1967
Georgia Morello Decker 1968
The Honorable Stephanie Domitrovich, PhD 1976
Marianne Felice, MD 1966
E. Jeanne Adamson Gleason 1960
Sister Margaret Hannan, RSM 1965
Beverly Kowalski Kaniecki 1980
Lynda Ruffo Katz, PhD 1963
Sister Ida Mularikal 1969